Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Stitches

We had something very sad happen to us on the 12Th. Kaitlyn got hurt while jumping into the swimming pool. She jumped in backwards and hut her chin on the edge of the pool. After waiting at the ER for 5 hours she was stitched up by a doctor with ONE EYE. It was horrible. Luckily I was able to find a friend to watch Sophie and Avery so Tom and I could be there for her. There has to be a better way to stitch up a little one than what they did to her. They wrapped her up in a sheet with her arms to her sides and put a sheet over her face. If she wasn't claustrophobic before then she definitely is now. Poor baby. She only got 5 stitches and at the time we thought for sure that wouldn't be enough. Yesterday when we had them taken out the PA said that it should heal nicely. The "doctor" at the base clinic had one heck of a time getting the stitches out because she said they were too tight. We spent over two hours at the clinic trying to comfort Kaitlyn until they were finally successful in getting them out. Why couldn't they use stitches that dissolve?
Alright so I am not usually so pessimistic (right?) but this is my baby and I was completely traumatized by the whole thing. We're just praying our kids stay safe from now on.

2 comments:

Luella said...

Oh! Poor Kaitlyn! I hope she's okay now. It's never fun to have a baby get hurt. Sounds like the ER was an adventure. I'm glad it turned out okay.

I am Laura said...

Stitches are traumatic. Ally got some when she was 18 months old and the person that put them in was awful to her. I think he was a nurse. He told me after a few minutes that I needed to make her stop crying or he couldn't do it. Umm.. get an 18 month old to stop crying when she is bleeding all over and you are sticking a needle in her over and over... yeah right. From then on I always tried to go to the children's hospital for emergencies and they are a lot better.